15 years helping British businesses

Pharmacy Management Systems Reviews

About Pharmacy Management Systems

Premier pharmacy management systems for community, hospital outpatient, multi-location and 340B pharmacies as well as HME businesses.

Learn more about Pharmacy Management Systems

Pros:

For the most part the software worked fine. It integrated with imaging software to show prescriptions.

Cons:

The support was very weak. Nobody had a clue of what was going on when called.

Pharmacy Management Systems ratings

3.7
3.8
3.7
3.3

6.5/10

Pharmacy Management Systems has an overall rating of 4 out of 5 stars based on 22 user reviews on Capterra.

Sort by

Have you used Pharmacy Management Systems before?

Kyle
Kyle
Pharmacy Technology Coordinator in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 1,001–5,000 Employees

I love QS1

Pros:

The simplicity of the screen. Not too much to distract you.

Cons:

Sometimes reports don't work very well.

Jordan
Pharmacist in US
Pharmaceuticals, 2–10 Employees

Longtime Users, Not the best but not the worst

Comments: My biggest complaint is the report system. Almost any time I need a customized report I have to call in and get someone from customer service to help me with setting it up. However, once it is set up it's pretty good. It just isn't very intuitive since it is built on an old DOS-based platform. NRx is a GUI of the DOS-based platform they had in the past. It definitely does what a pharmacy software should, in that you can process scripts pretty quickly. They are constantly trying to improve the software with things like Pharmacy at a Glance (sidebar that shows you your queues of new E-Scribes, Refill requests, etc.). This feature is very helpful and I've used it every day since we enabled the feature. The quality assurance queue is very helpful and their workflow can be customized to your needs. We definitely do not utilize the software to its full potential. If we had more time to look into and learn the additional features, then we would probably have a better opinion of the software. We are very excited about their new solution SharpRx, and would like to give it a go once it is fully released for multi-location stores. It is designed from the ground up, so should be the refresh that QS1 needs.

Pros:

Quickly and efficiently processes prescriptions

Cons:

Reports and custom reports are not very intuitive, each new feature is an additional cost

Pharmacist in US
Used the Software for: Not provided

Good when it works, can be cumbersome, beware of pitfalls

Comments: Was a long start-up / break-in process. Things that should be defaulted are not. Customer Service seems interested and responsive at first, but ultimately fails on many promises. I suspect their hands are tied. I learned this nRx system by QS1 is actually built on top of an old DOS based system. This causes many limitations. (e.g. despite numerous pleas, I've been told they are unable to default the checkbox to ON to automatically print monographs on refills. I have handfuls of examples like this that chip away at the likability of this system.) Reports: they will tell you the reports are customizable. The truth: they are a cumbersome mess, and the format in which they print out is just awful. Many, many screens to click through to print reports that you have already spent hours setting up and customizing. Despite the nRx system being called "Billing", they will try to upsale you later on their accounting software, claiming what you're using is only dispensing and cannot handle basic accounting tasks. There is a major pitfall that literally cost our company $10,000. If you print a label wrong, it will read "Copay $0" even when the insurance rejected it. This label looks *exactly* like the label does when it's a paid claim. In my opinion, this "wrong" way of printing a label is the most obvious (i.e. punch in the prescription number, click the print button). We gave out medication that we aren't going to get reimbursed for. Beware. There are positives. It has a modern interface. When things work well, it's nice to use. Not all together intuitive, however. If you've got young and tech-savvy employees, you could probably get along ok with this system, but don't expect anyone else to be able to use it. We've struggled with this system for a year and are now shopping for alternatives. I laughed out loud when I saw this was 3rd on the list. Figured I'd drop a review for the next guy.

Debbie
pharmacy office manager in US

pharmacy technician for 26 years have only worked on qs1

Pros:

Most of the time if a problem occurs, a phone call is all thats needed. We have had qs1 drive from Dallas to help out. Programs are fairly easy to learn. Our relief pharmacist have had very little issues using the quality check.Qs1 continues to improve with each update and the service center is very helpful

Cons:

The lack of communication regarding updates. Dealing with 3rd party issues could be improved. POS price updates would be better maintained by the server as well as sigis updates. It would be nice if we could buy our own envelopes to mail out statement instead of haveing to use the ones from interrgral

Glenn
Director of Pharmacy Services in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 201–500 Employees

Long time QS/1 user

Comments: I have used QS/1 since 1981. QS/1 has always paid close attention to maximum security, a stable base, a configurable resource, as well as the ability for the user to capture and report on ANY data. In the 36 years, I can't think of a single day in which we could not process prescriptions for more than 10-15 minutes, and very few times for that period of time. I realize there are those PMS's that shine like a diamond on the outside, but after loading the computer, tend to turn to a lump of coal.

Pros:

Stability, configuration to specific conditions, reporting, allowing for accuracy, cost of maintenance....

Cons:

Difficulty in learning (old system) New Sharp Rx will make a HUGE difference!!!!

Sukhjeet
Pharmacy Assistant in Canada
Pharmaceuticals, 51–200 Employees

Kroll

Pros:

I used PMS as a Pharmacy Assistant, it helps create efficient workflow to save time and money. The PMS to do module allows the Pharmacy to store and organize information and creates a more efficient work flows.

Cons:

I notice sometimes the application fails without warnings.

Sim
IT in US
Pharmaceuticals, 201–500 Employees

Get to know your support rep

Comments: Calling support is a hit and miss. Sometimes you get help right away, most of the time, you leave a message with the receptionist and get a callback a couple hours later.

Pros:

Windows GUI, shortcuts on left side bar is very helpful

Cons:

Takes a bit of training to understand what the potential of the software.

Phil
Phil
IT Support Engineer in US
Pharmaceuticals

Worked with QS/1 for 3 years and had a lot of issues

Pros:

Cons:

It was like working on early 2000's software. The support was very weak. Nobody had a clue of what was going on when called.

Glenn
Director of Pharmacy Services in US

Longtime QS/1 user

Comments: I have used QS/1 since 1981. I have found QS/1 not to be absolutely perfect, HOWEVER the folks at QS/1 strive for a better product than any other vendor. I do believe the platform that QS/1 runs on is the MOST SECURE of any of the vendors. Yes, you do have temporary hicups as you would with ANY vendor, but I honestly believe we see less than any of our competitors. The thing I like MOST about QS/1 is that it is customizable to ANY type of practice you may throw at them. Currently, well, since 1990, I have worked for Heart of Texas Commuty Health Center which is a FQHC. We purchase 340b and QS/1 even has a way to handle our business VERY effectively. Lastly, I have looked at other vendors, but NOONE can provide ALL the things we deem necessary to take care of both Drug Utilization, Inventory, 3rd party, as well as great Customer Service. Glenn A. Rebber, RPh
Director of Pharmacy Services
Heart of Texas Community Health Center

Daniel
Intern in US

It is a fast and easy software for running a pharmacy.

Pros:

It is very fast. The customer service is excellent. State of the art facility. Easy to use. Follows the "One Click Method" which allows information to be found within one click of a mouse.

Cons:

Due to this layout, there is a lot of clutter on the computer. It takes some time to be proficient in.

Jesse
It Manager in US
Pharmaceuticals, 201–500 Employees

Qs1 is great solution for LTC's wanting to grow in a tough business

Comments: We gained the ability to create, manage, bill patients in a decently convenient package.

Pros:

Qs1 as scaled with us since we started with 10 employees Qs1 still goes strong now that we are at over 200. The employees at Qs1 support are very knowledgeable and will assist with any issue no matter how state specific it may be.

Cons:

Due to the massive amount of LTC rules and regulations Qs1 can inadvertently release software updates that interfere with normal operation. However even at these times it is usually just a call to support, and they can get it working correctly again.

Tracey
PIC/owner in US
Pharmaceuticals, 2–10 Employees

QS1-Expensive-not worth the price

Comments: Processing prescriptions is pretty good and quick. I switched systems to process secondary claims and tie in POS with system for electronic signatures and system does well with those 2 things. The system is TERRIBLE for generating reports that you need. I always have to call in and get help which is very time consuming.

Pros:

Dual billing is pretty good and e-scripts can be processed quickly.

Cons:

TRYING TO GET REPORTS.

RedSail Technologies Response

8 years ago

Our Customer Support team has recently contacted this customer with further instructions on the best practices for pulling reports - both standard and customized. If further help is required, please don't hesitate to contact us with any questions you may have. Thank you

Laura
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 10,000+ Employees

PMS

Pros:

This software is easy to navigate. It is not difficult to understand and manipulate. Hard drive runs fast, never had a "freeze"

Cons:

Lots of icons and options on each page. Personally, I wish that they would make two or three pages and each page have less info. Sometimes its overwhelming to decipher

Lauren
nurse in US

great system

Pros:

Very easy to learn and very easy to use. Teaching new employees always is simple when using this software.

Cons:

Reports are hard to get every time you need to run one. It's irritating when you have to call for every report.

Pharmaceuticals, 501–1,000 Employees

Okay software for running a pharmacy

Comments: PMS has helped create an effective workflow that saves time in our pharmacy operations.

Pros:

PMS is a relatively okay software for running basic pharmacy operations. I like that it quickly processes prescriptions and retains important information such as drug quantities. This has been particularly useful in inventory tracking which has helped in dealing with stock outs. I also like that it integrates with imaging software to display prescriptions.

Cons:

Its incompatibility with linux OS has been limiting. Again we get very many software updates that interfere with normal operations. Report systems have had issues where you needed to call customer service to get reports.

Frank
Owner Pharmacist in US

Where is Mavis Systems?

Comments: Mavis was my 1st system in 1976, developed by a pharmacist for pharmacists, easy to use followed our natural work flow at the time. Qs1 is very cumbersome in my opinion, but I am a 72 yr old Pharmacist with my 4 th. system, not by choice, had 3 companies go under. Chose Qs1 because I didn't want to change again. Looked at software when we 1st got it 14 yrs ago and decided it was to complicated for me. Still hard for me to understand reports and how to get them. I have never filled a new Rx on it, Have good tech's and clerk typist. Customer service is a hit and miss. Mostly good thou. Hard to get personal instructions on anything. Brian your salesman out west is best thing about QS1, Would have been gone a long time ago if it wasn't for him. Have recommended it when have a chance, just to get more users in area, but seems as if, when people look at software and pricing they get scared away. Getting late and this old man had a long day and looking forward to that Stoli on the rocks. Interesting observation is that I have been a little critical before with QS1 and nobody ever answers or get back to me.

Misty
Operations Manager in US
Used the Software for: Not provided

We love QS1 because it is Windows based and offers all the services national pharmacies offer!

Comments: I just wanted to drop you a note letting you know how pleased we are with our new esig program Kevin helped set up on our Ipad. He was such help, I feel like I really did nothing in the process. He was always flexible and understood our business. He was more than willing to come in early, really early in your time zone, so that our business was not disrupted by taking the system down to install the esig capture software and other necessary edits to the server. Even after we were up and running, he followed up with me and helped me tweak some things on the software side to make eSig even more effiecient for our team and our customers. Thank you for having such an awesome staff. We love our QS1!

Joni
Director of Pharmacy in US
Used the Software for: Not provided

We transitioned from an existing Rx software to qs/1 and moved into a new location.

Comments: The trainers Kelly Geddes and George Thomas are fantastic. they are always willing to help when we call them. if they are unavailable they call us back quickly. danny hollifield came on site for 2 days for Go Live which was extremely helpful as well.

RedSail Technologies Response

9 years ago

Thank you so much for taking the time to complete this review. It is very helpful. Judy Armandroff

Tim
Owner/manager in US
Used the Software for: Not provided

Robust, have not used all that is available

Comments: I have had mostly positive experiences with Qs1 Pharmacy management system. I am working now with Med sync program and trying to get better documentation on how to set it up. I have spoken with techs about it and it is too new for them it seems like

ROBERT
PRESIDENT/PIC in US

NRX

Comments: HARD TO LEARN AND GET USED TO BUT ONCE PROFICIENT IN THE SYSTEM THEN IT WAS GOOD.
PROCEDURES LIKE ADDING DRUGS, PATIENTS, THIRD PARTY ARE EASY AND QUICK. EASY TO TEACH NEW PEOPLE BECAUSE PROCEDURES ARE SELF-EXPLANATORY.

Erik
President in US
Used the Software for: Not provided

This software is easy to use once you learn it. Very intuitive.

Comments: QS1 has some very powerful products, their customer service could be improved some but overall they have all the components for a great pharmacy management system.

Rebekah
Operations Manager in US
Used the Software for: Not provided

We've been using QS1 pharmacy software for 31 years.

Comments: QS1's customer service is second to none.