- Cloud, SaaS, Web (20)
- Installed - Mac (1)
- Installed - Windows (1)
- Mobile - Android Native (2)
- Mobile - iOS Native (2)
- Bulk Reference Request (15)
- Candidate Scoring (9)
- Completion Alerts (16)
- Email / Online (13)
- Mobile Access (16)
- Reminders (15)
- Reporting/Analytics (17)
- Self Service Portal (5)
- Survey Builder (17)
- Survey Library (15)
Table of Contents
What is reference check software?
Reference check software helps recruiters manage the process of requesting and collecting references for job candidates. The software either allows recruiters to gather reference information from candidates and then send requests for information, or lets candidates directly reach out to references themselves.
The benefits of reference check software
- Reduce turnaround time: Automated reference checks are faster than completing manual phone calls for verbal references.
- Reduce false references: Reference software can flag candidates if their references come from the same IP address as theirs.
- Gain relevant information: Reference check software can include job-specific surveys that recruiters can use to gauge a candidate’s skills.
Typical features of reference check software
- Bulk reference requests: Send out reference requests for a single candidate to multiple respondents.
- Reference request automation: Reduce manual effort by using automated workflows for requesting and collecting references.
- Reporting: A summary of how candidates perform in key areas such as leadership, collaboration, and problem-solving.
- Survey builder: Create and share surveys to assess a candidate’s skills related to specific job requirements.
- Survey library: Choose from a library of ready-to-use, pre-defined surveys.
- Reminders: Send automatic text or email notifications to contacts reminding them to complete reference requests.
Considerations when purchasing reference check software
- Look for FCRA-compliant vendors: Employers must ensure Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) compliance for pre-employment background checks. The act covers consumer credit reports and investigative consumer reports, which include personal opinions (such as feedback from previous employers) and character references. The FCRA also requires a written disclosure and notification to the candidate about the inquiry. Be sure that the software you invest in is FCRA-compliant to help you meet these requirements.
- Evaluate ATS integration: Integration between an applicant tracking system (ATS) and reference check software helps ensure data consistency and eliminates redundant data entry. Not only does this reduce turnaround time, it also provides a complete and accurate view of candidate data to help recruiters make more informed decisions. If your business uses an ATS, determine whether the reference check software you’re evaluating can integrate with it.
Relevant reference check software trends
- Artificial intelligence and machine learning improving background and reference checks: One of the biggest challenges with traditional methods of reference checking is that once reference requests are completed/submitted, recruiters are left with large amounts of raw information they need to parse manually. The gradual improvement of artificial intelligence and machine learning is making it easier and more efficient for recruiters to find the data that is most relevant to them.