- Cloud, SaaS, Web (75)
- Installed - Mac (30)
- Installed - Windows (59)
- Mobile - Android Native (16)
- Mobile - iOS Native (15)
- Audit Management (16)
- Compliance Tracking (17)
- Copy Protection (33)
- Cost Tracking (16)
- Inventory Management (19)
- License Tracking (69)
- Node Management (33)
- Portable License (45)
- Product Activation (47)
- Trial License (62)
Table of Contents
What is license management software?
License management software helps organizations monitor and control software usage and ensure software license compliance within their own business.
The benefits of license management software
License management software ensures legal and compliant use of software. It helps in:
- License monitoring: License management software gives a clear picture of the licenses purchased by an organization. It tracks software usage and provides usage metrics, which helps maintain compliance with vendor regulations.
- Budgeting: License management software provides information on license consumption. This information can help organizations analyze underutilization/overutilization of a particular product and then negotiate license contracts as per their needs.
- Reducing security risks: License management software prevents any unauthorized access to the software. This mitigates risks in the form of viruses, network breaches, conflicts, and malware.
Typical features of license management software
- License inventory: Manage information about purchased licenses, such as renewal dates.
- Compliance management: Maintain software compliance by tracking and managing non-adherence to policies.
- Reporting/analytics: View license performance and track metrics, such as product usage, with the help of dashboards.
Considerations when purchasing license management software
- Automated real-time notifications: Automated alerts and notifications can help users track the number of licenses deployed, the deployment of any prohibited software, and upcoming license expirations. Check if your preferred tool has this capability.
- Data security in cloud deployment: Check what contractual rights your cloud provider holds regarding data access. It is possible that vendors could misuse your data by knowing what software you are using. Therefore, strict limitations must be negotiated into contracts that clearly define your organization’s right to privacy.
Relevant license management trend
- License management is going mobile: The demand for mobile access for business software tools is on the rise. Mobile apps for license management allow administrators to keep a tab on all the purchased licenses from their smartphones; they can remotely monitor product compliance and consumption.